Inside California Education Episode 401: Focusing on Mental Health
The impact of the pandemic has only heightened the importance for schools to support students’ mental health and well-being, which is critical to academic and social emotional learning. In this episode, we explore how schools in California are utilizing a variety of innovative programs and approaches to better meet the mental health needs of their students.
What are schools doing to promote mental health for students and educators?
Meet a teacher in the Elk Grove Unified School District in Sacramento County who is using yoga to help her students balance their mental and physical health during the pandemic. Explore a new online suicide prevention effort developed in partnership by LivingWorks, the California Department of Education and San Diego County Office of Education that is helping school districts and their students all over California. Go inside the classroom at High Tech High Chula Vista in San Diego County where students have created their own education plan around mental health. Also, visit ABC Unified School District in Los Angeles County where, pre-COVID, a mental health professional was assigned to every one of the district’s 29 campuses.
TV Series: Inside California Education
Published Date: 04/07/2021
Related Inside California Education episodes:
- California Department of Education, Mental Health page
- California Association of School Psychologists
- California Association of School Counselors
- California Association of School Social Workers
Watch individual stories from this episode
Inside California Education 401 — Focusing on Mental Health
- Story 1 Teaching Yoga in a Pandemic — ELK GROVE, CA 03:36
- Story 2 Online Suicide Prevention Efforts — CHULA VISTA, CA 12:30
- Story 3 Mental Health Professionals on Campus — LOS ANGELES COUNTY, CA 06:32
- Preview Inside California Education Episode 401 — Focusing on Mental Health 0:30